JESS: Can't start Jess, first attempt

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JESS: Can't start Jess, first attempt

Ender Batur
Greetings,

I am unable to start Jess, because jess.Main turns jess/Main
at command console, no matter what I do. I even tried ALT+046
for full-stop but I have not managed to overcome to this
full-stop to slash conversion. I don't think it is originated
from locale language differences. Java programs run O.K.

A partial copy of command console is below:


F:\Jess\workArea>java -version
java version "1.5.0_02"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.5.0_02-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode,
sharing)

F:\Jess\workArea>java jess.Main
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
jess/Main

=>java jess.Console is not working either. It gives the same
NoClassDefFoundError: jess/Console

Operation system is Windows 2000Pro SP4. I have not seen that
kind of error before. I have no explanation why full-stop is
converted to slash when I enter the java jess.Main command.

I will appreciate any comments in order to overcome this dot
-> slash conversion and get Jess starting.

--
Ender Batur
[hidden email]
http://ebatur.fateback.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, send the words 'unsubscribe jess-users [hidden email]'
in the BODY of a message to [hidden email], NOT to the list
(use your own address!) List problems? Notify [hidden email].
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JESS: Can't start Jess, first attempt

friedman_hill ernest j
This is just a standard class-not-found message. Java uses the "/"
internally as the package separator in class names. The "dot-slash
conversion" isn't a problem; the problem is that Java isn't finding
the class you're asking it to run.

If you're using a Jess 6 trial (binary) distribution, you have to put
jess.jar on your CLASSPATH; See chapter 1 of the manual. Also see
http://faq.javaranch.com/view?HowToSetTheClasspath for a nice
discussion for those new to Java.

If you're using a Jess 6 source distribution, you have to compile Jess
first; see chapter 1 of the manual.

If you're using any version of Jess 7, then you can just use the
script bin/jess.bat to start Jess -- or put the jar files in "lib" on
your CLASSPATH. Once again, this is in chapter 1 of the manual.


I think Ender Batur wrote:
[Charset iso-8859-9 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]

> Greetings,
>
> I am unable to start Jess, because jess.Main turns jess/Main
> at command console, no matter what I do. I even tried ALT+046
> for full-stop but I have not managed to overcome to this
> full-stop to slash conversion. I don't think it is originated
> from locale language differences. Java programs run O.K.
>
> A partial copy of command console is below:
>
>
> F:\Jess\workArea>java -version
> java version "1.5.0_02"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
> 1.5.0_02-b09)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode,
> sharing)
>
> F:\Jess\workArea>java jess.Main
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> jess/Main
>
> =>java jess.Console is not working either. It gives the same
> NoClassDefFoundError: jess/Console
>
> Operation system is Windows 2000Pro SP4. I have not seen that
> kind of error before. I have no explanation why full-stop is
> converted to slash when I enter the java jess.Main command.
>
> I will appreciate any comments in order to overcome this dot
> -> slash conversion and get Jess starting.
>
> --
> Ender Batur
> [hidden email]
> http://ebatur.fateback.com
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, send the words 'unsubscribe jess-users [hidden email]'
> in the BODY of a message to [hidden email], NOT to the list
> (use your own address!) List problems? Notify [hidden email].
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>



---------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Friedman-Hill  
Advanced Software Research          Phone: (925) 294-2154
Sandia National Labs                FAX:   (925) 294-2234
PO Box 969, MS 9012                 [hidden email]
Livermore, CA 94550         http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, send the words 'unsubscribe jess-users [hidden email]'
in the BODY of a message to [hidden email], NOT to the list
(use your own address!) List problems? Notify [hidden email].
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JESS: Can't start Jess, first attempt

Ender Batur
Thank you for your reply. Typo at classpath!

Unable to see it even after several checks. It is running now.
I appreciate your help.

--
Ender Batur
[hidden email]
http://ebatur.fateback.com


[hidden email] wrote:

> This is just a standard class-not-found message. Java uses the "/"
> internally as the package separator in class names. The "dot-slash
> conversion" isn't a problem; the problem is that Java isn't finding
> the class you're asking it to run.
>
> If you're using a Jess 6 trial (binary) distribution, you have to put
> jess.jar on your CLASSPATH; See chapter 1 of the manual. Also see
> http://faq.javaranch.com/view?HowToSetTheClasspath for a nice
> discussion for those new to Java.
>
> If you're using a Jess 6 source distribution, you have to compile Jess
> first; see chapter 1 of the manual.
>
> If you're using any version of Jess 7, then you can just use the
> script bin/jess.bat to start Jess -- or put the jar files in "lib" on
> your CLASSPATH. Once again, this is in chapter 1 of the manual.
>

>
> ---------------------------------------------------------
> Ernest Friedman-Hill  
> Advanced Software Research          Phone: (925) 294-2154
> Sandia National Labs                FAX:   (925) 294-2234
> PO Box 969, MS 9012                 [hidden email]
> Livermore, CA 94550         http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, send the words 'unsubscribe jess-users [hidden email]'
> in the BODY of a message to [hidden email], NOT to the list
> (use your own address!) List problems? Notify [hidden email].
> --------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, send the words 'unsubscribe jess-users [hidden email]'
in the BODY of a message to [hidden email], NOT to the list
(use your own address!) List problems? Notify [hidden email].
--------------------------------------------------------------------