JESS: [EXTERNAL] Jess Licensing Question

JESS: [EXTERNAL] Jess Licensing Question

Yuan Rao
Does anyone have experience licensing Jess for commercial use?

My employer is interested in licensing the software. But getting formal references from Sandia turns out would take longer than we'd expected. While waiting for Sandia's formal references to come through, I wonder if anyone here have had some experience they wouldn't mind sharing.

If you have licensed the software and have anything to say about your experience using the software in commercial environment, the process of licensing it, and any lessons learned, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Yuan

AW: JESS: [EXTERNAL] Jess Licensing Question

Henschel, Joerg

Hi - we have licensed JESS and are using it in a commercial application for 2.5 years now. While I can’t speak for the licensing process, we have made good experiences with the technical side of things. It’s easy to integrate, well documented and the mailing list is generally responsive to specific problems. We also have a support/maintenance agreement that we use now and then for specific issues.

Our lessons learned, very subjective of course: Jess does what it says it will do – which might not be what you expect it to do. Spend time to learn it. A lot of problems turn out to be not actual problems but rather “as designed” mechanisms. For us, it’s fast, it’s stable and with the source code it’s also changeable – although we try to stay away from that. Overall experience – very good, I’d say.

Regards,

Joerg

Re: JESS: [EXTERNAL] Jess Licensing Question

Peter Lin
Back in 2002-2003 I used JESS to build a pre-trade compliance engine
for a trading platform.

JESS is a fantastic expert system shell. Like any other tool, the key
is taking time to learn how to use it. Logic programming is different
than imperative or OOP. The benefit is the result of how JESS is used.
I recommend to most people that ask "which rule engine would you use?"