JESS: [EXTERNAL] need help on Learning content management for JESS based Tutoring System

JESS: [EXTERNAL] need help on Learning content management for JESS based Tutoring System

Rejaul Barbhuiya
Please bear with me as I am explaining in a bit details about my problem status.

I am designing an Intelligent Tutoring System using JESS and J2EE.
My ITS's teaching cycle is as follows:
present learning material -> present one/more examples -> assess learning outcome through MCQ or fill_in_gap type questions. In between there will be feedbacks to maintain learner's positive motivation level.

My domain knowledge will structured hierarchically as
domain_subject -> module-> topic-> concept. each concept consists of 3 types of Learning objects (theory, example and question).

The jess rules will decide the next learning object, which feedback message to display and when, etc.

Below I am giving in brief some of my templates and jess rules in textual format:

(deftemplate student
    (slot stud-id) (multislot stud-name) (slot performance-history) (multislot stud-clas) (slot session-no))

(deftemplate concept
    (slot parent-topic) (multislot lo-names) (multislot lo-ids) (multislot concept-name) (slot concept-id) (slot status) (slot stud-id) (multislot pre-req-concept) (slot next-concept) (slot prev-concept))

(deftemplate learning-object
    (slot parent-concept) (multislot lo-name) (slot lo-type) (slot lo-id) (slot reqd-time)
    (slot elapsed-time) (slot diff-level) (slot status) (slot attempt-count (default 0))  (slot stud-id) (slot prev-lo) (slot next-lo))

Some of the rules in textual form
"1. if learner succeeds in a problem of difficulty-level 'EASY', next select a problem of difficulty-level 'MEDIUM'"
"2. if learner succeeds in a problem of difficulty-level 'MEDIUM', next select a problem of difficulty-level 'TOUGH'"
"3. if learner fails in a problem of difficulty-level 'MEDIUM', next select a problem of difficulty-level 'EASY'"
"4. if learner fails in a problem of difficulty-level 'TOUGH', next select a problem of difficulty-level 'MEDIUM'"

Now given this, I am not sure whether my approach is correct in terms of tool selection or not? Also, how should I represent the learning materials?

Rejaul Karim Barbhuiya
Senior Research Fellow

Department of Computer Science

Jamia Millia Islamia