JESS: Is Jess still alive, and Jess In Action

JESS: Is Jess still alive, and Jess In Action

Paul Gifford
Hi,

  We're looking at a couple of Java rules engines, Jess among them.  It's been a couple of years since the site has been updated - is Jess still under active development?

  I've started reading through Jess In Action.  The book was published in 2003 - is it still applicable to the 2008 version of Jess?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: JESS: Is Jess still alive, and Jess In Action

Jason Morris
I have been waiting a LONG time for someone besides me to ask this question.
Can't wait to hear the answer ;-)

--
Cheers,
Jason
[hidden email]
(517) 304-5883

Re: JESS: Is Jess still alive, and Jess In Action

Peter Lin
JESS is a mature rule engine and one of the best in my bias opinion.

I've used it in the past on financial applications and for personal projects.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:35 PM, Paul Gifford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We're looking at a couple of Java rules engines, Jess among them.  It's
> been a couple of years since the site has been updated - is Jess still under
> active development?
>
>   I've started reading through Jess In Action.  The book was published in
> 2003 - is it still applicable to the 2008 version of Jess?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

RE: JESS: Is Jess still alive, and Jess In Action

John Everett-2

I’m using Jess on a large DARPA project, and I find it to be a mature and stable platform. The mailing list goes quiet but responds quickly when people ask questions. The Jess language is a subset of LISP, which is an obvious touchpoint for religious debates, so if you’re looking for a “reason” to disprefer Jess, it’s right there. On the other hand, the integration with Java is robust, to the point where you can interact entirely with the rule engine via Java if you wish. The rule engine itself has a rich feature set and appears to implement the Rete algorithm efficiently. The original developer and author of Jess in Action, Ernest Friedman-Hill, responds promptly and thoughtfully to technical questions posted to the mailing list.

-John

(517) 304-5883

Re: JESS: Is Jess still alive, and Jess In Action

"Jess in Action" is still valid; there are some newer features since
then, and some newer best practices, but nothing in the book is
*wrong*. The release notes in the Jess 7.0 manual explicitly address
the 6.x -> 7.x transition and things that you might want to change, so
they serve as a nice addendum to the book.

Jess is still supported, and occasional updates are still being made,
but active development of new features is on hiatus for now.

On May 31, 2011, at 5:35 PM, Paul Gifford wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   We're looking at a couple of Java rules engines, Jess among them.
> It's been a couple of years since the site has been updated - is
> Jess still under active development?
>
>   I've started reading through Jess In Action.  The book was
> published in 2003 - is it still applicable to the 2008 version of
> Jess?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Informatics & Decision Sciences, Sandia National Laboratories
PO Box 969, MS 9012, Livermore, CA 94550
http://www.jessrules.com

Re: JESS: Is Jess still alive, and Jess In Action

ccunningham
Hi Paul,

We have two applications that are deployed operationally.  One is a real time data driven decision support system processing health data.  Its been in operation for two years, running non-stop without an error.  The second is an operational app that provides risk assessment for hospital acquired illness.  It runs in a hospital environment and has been operation for just over a year.

Both apps process a large volume of data.  The larger rule base is just over three hundred rules and has a knowledge base of just over 800k facts.

We tested a number of rule systems and found JESS to be the best suited to meet our system requirements.

Thanks,
Craig