JESS: Jess Certification for Mission/Safety Critical Applications

JESS: Jess Certification for Mission/Safety Critical Applications

Gary Riley
Jess Certification for Mission/Safety Critical Application
Has anyone gone through the process of having Jess (or any other expert system tool) certified for misson/safety critical applications for a government agency such as NASA, FAA, or DoD? I'm interested in getting any information that's available for completing this process.

Re: JESS: Jess Certification for Mission/Safety CriticalApplications

JCO-2
Gary:

As a "quick start" for the un-initiated, how does one go about getting
certified?  To whom, or to what, does one apply, etc.  Any ideas?

SDG
jco

> Has anyone gone through the process of having Jess (or any other
> expert system tool) certified for misson/safety critical applications
> for a government agency such as NASA, FAA, or DoD? I'm interested in
> getting any information that's available for completing this process.

Re: JESS: Jess Certification for Mission/Safety CriticalApplications

Gary Riley
>Gary:
>
>As a "quick start" for the un-initiated, how does one go about getting
>certified?  To whom, or to what, does one apply, etc.  Any ideas?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Different agencies have
different standards based on the classification of the program. For
Level A FAA certification it looks like it's necessary to verify each
possible path through the code. I haven't come across specifications
yet which deal with programs using recursion or dynamic memory
allocation, either of which could cause termination from a stack
overflow or lack of memory.

Gary

>SDG
>jco
>
>>  Has anyone gone through the process of having Jess (or any other
>>  expert system tool) certified for misson/safety critical applications
>>  for a government agency such as NASA, FAA, or DoD? I'm interested in
>  > getting any information that's available for completing this process.

Re: JESS: Jess Certification for Mission/Safety CriticalApplications

kahunamoore
You also might need to consider whether or not the underlying JVM/Java is
(or can be) certified. The Java EULA includes language about not using Java
for nuclear power plants...

Good luck!

alan