JESS: Jess and Clojure

Jason Morris
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else has experimented with (or is actually using) Jess with Clojure?  I've been hacking around with it, and I've actually gotten Jess 7.2 to run on the latest Clojure build with a standard Sun 1.6 JVM.  I'm attaching a little toy app for illustration purposes.  For those who long to have the full power of a JVM LISP behind Jess, running it on Clojure seems promising.

Ernest:  Do you know of any potential snags?

Cheers,
Jason
Morris Technical Solutions LLC
[hidden email]
(517) 304-5883

clojure.zip (109K) Download Attachment

Re: JESS: Jess and Clojure

Friedman-Hill, Ernest
It's been mentioned that It Would Be Cool (R) to integrate Jess and
Clojure; I think that would ultimately have to mean that all of Jess's
Lisp(esque) interpreter would be thrown out and replaced by Clojure's
REP loop, Jess constructs would be defined as special forms in
Clojure, etc. It would indeed be cool, as Clojure is a much better
Lisp than "JessLisp". The downside would be that you'd lose all
semblance of CLIPS language compatibility, as the various quoting
rules and other language minutae are different. That would make it
minimally a candidate for Jess 8, or more likely a new product
(CloJess, or something?)

But honestly, I hadn't thought too much about the kind of integration
you're experimenting with here. I'd be afraid someone would suffer a
brain injury trying to keep all the levels of "meta" straight! Not to
mention the cognitive dissonance of working with two similar-looking
but uncomfortably different languages at once. If you like that sort
of thing, though (and I historically do -- I've written systems that
generate code that generates code) then it could be a lot of fun.

On Jun 1, 2011, at 5:26 AM, Jason Morris wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone else has experimented with (or is actually
> using) Jess with Clojure?  I've been hacking around with it, and
> I've actually gotten Jess 7.2 to run on the latest Clojure build
> with a standard Sun 1.6 JVM.  I'm attaching a little toy app for
> illustration purposes.  For those who long to have the full power of
> a JVM LISP behind Jess, running it on Clojure seems promising.
>
> Ernest:  Do you know of any potential snags?
>
> Cheers,
> Jason
> Morris Technical Solutions LLC
> [hidden email]
> (517) 304-5883
> <clojure.zip>

Informatics & Decision Sciences, Sandia National Laboratories
PO Box 969, MS 9012, Livermore, CA 94550
http://www.jessrules.com

Re: JESS: Jess and Clojure

Peter Lin
I've also pondered the idea of clojure + jess with others.

The benefits of doing full LISP is powerful, even if a significant
percent of the users will never use features beyond the existing CLIPS
functionality. The other benefit I see with clojure is the
transactional memory. The STM model is quite powerful.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Ernest Friedman-Hill
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's been mentioned that It Would Be Cool (R) to integrate Jess and Clojure;
> I think that would ultimately have to mean that all of Jess's Lisp(esque)
> interpreter would be thrown out and replaced by Clojure's REP loop, Jess
> constructs would be defined as special forms in Clojure, etc. It would
> indeed be cool, as Clojure is a much better Lisp than "JessLisp". The
> downside would be that you'd lose all semblance of CLIPS language
> compatibility, as the various quoting rules and other language minutae are
> different. That would make it minimally a candidate for Jess 8, or more
> likely a new product (CloJess, or something?)
>
> But honestly, I hadn't thought too much about the kind of integration you're
> experimenting with here. I'd be afraid someone would suffer a brain injury
> trying to keep all the levels of "meta" straight! Not to mention the
> cognitive dissonance of working with two similar-looking but uncomfortably
> different languages at once. If you like that sort of thing, though (and I
> historically do -- I've written systems that generate code that generates
> code) then it could be a lot of fun.
>

> On Jun 1, 2011, at 5:26 AM, Jason Morris wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone else has experimented with (or is actually
>> using) Jess with Clojure?  I've been hacking around with it, and I've
>> actually gotten Jess 7.2 to run on the latest Clojure build with a standard
>> Sun 1.6 JVM.  I'm attaching a little toy app for illustration purposes.  For
>> those who long to have the full power of a JVM LISP behind Jess, running it
>> on Clojure seems promising.
>>
>> Ernest:  Do you know of any potential snags?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jason
>> Morris Technical Solutions LLC
>> [hidden email]
>> (517) 304-5883
>> <clojure.zip>

> Ernest Friedman-Hill
> Informatics & Decision Sciences, Sandia National Laboratories
> PO Box 969, MS 9012, Livermore, CA 94550
> http://www.jessrules.com

> in the BODY of a message to [hidden email], NOT to the list
> (use your own address!) List problems? Notify [hidden email].

Re: JESS: Jess and Clojure

Donald Winston
"cognitive dissonace" ? Now I have a name for all my problems.