JESS: JessDE Feature Request

kahunamoore
Ernest,

I've been using JessDE recently and found myself spending a considerable
amount of time checking to make sure my variables were bound and used in
the right places in the patterns. It seems to me that having a simple
way to verify/highlight the bindings visually would help in this regard.

One possibility would be to add a meta-key that would toggle the font
color of each variable and bolding the location where they are first
bound - similar to paren highlighting. This could also be done to track
variable binding/usage on the RHS as well.

Alternatively, the meta-key could cycle through each variable, a
different variable each time you press it, to change the font color of
it's binding+bold and usages in a fixed color.

Thoughts, comments?

alan

Re: JESS: JessDE Feature Request

friedman_hill ernest j
I think Alan Moore wrote:
> Ernest,
>
> I've been using JessDE recently and found myself spending a considerable
> amount of time checking to make sure my variables were bound and used in
> the right places in the patterns. It seems to me that having a simple
> way to verify/highlight the bindings visually would help in this regard.

Sorry for the delay -- I've been on vacation for a week.

Your color-coding ideas are interesting but I think it's probably
better to do things according to precedent.  Wouldn't the "Eclipse
way" be to have you Alt-click on a variable name and be sent to the
definition? So you'd Alt-click on a variable and the cursor would move
to the place where it was first bound.

[hidden email] wrote:

> Sorry for the delay -- I've been on vacation for a week.

No worries - hope you had a good time!

> Your color-coding ideas are interesting but I think it's probably
> better to do things according to precedent.  Wouldn't the "Eclipse
> way" be to have you Alt-click on a variable name and be sent to the
> definition? So you'd Alt-click on a variable and the cursor would move
> to the place where it was first bound.

Agreed, although it might also be helpful to see all the places where a
variable is used with the binding usage being distinguished in some way
from the rest.

The thinking here is that if you meant to pattern match against a
previously bound variable but fat-fingered the variable name in the
second pattern, you would see that it failed to be highlighted (or
whatever.)

I've just recently picked up Eclipse again after a long detour via
NetBeans and IntelliJ but have not yet re-mastered all the "Eclipsisms".
I have to say it has been much improved in the intervening time -
especially with the help of JessDE ;-D

alan