JESS: UPDATE tag

Flores Hernan
Hi,
could somebody explain me what hapend when a new rule is  added to a
preexisting Rete network, in the Nicolas e- mail he sais that Jess uses the
UPDATE tag to populates join nodes when a rule is added.
What is a join node?
Thanks!

Hernan Flores
Mantenimiento FA.PI.TA
FV. S.A. Planta Villa Rosa
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: JESS: UPDATE tag

friedman_hill ernest j
I think Flores Hernan wrote:
> Hi,
> could somebody explain me what hapend when a new rule is  added to a
> preexisting Rete network, in the Nicolas e- mail he sais that Jess uses the
> UPDATE tag to populates join nodes when a rule is added.
> What is a join node?

The chapter of the Jess manual entitled "The Rete Algorithm" explains
what a join node is. The important thing to know about it here is that
there are many of them, and they each "remember" something about the
relationships among facts. When a new rule is created, new join nodes
may be created, and the UPDATE tag is then used to send messages to
the new join nodes to tell them about things that happened in the
past, so that their "memories" are in sync with the other, older join
nodes.